Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Magic (of Christmas?)

I think we all reach this point sometimes... completely and utterly drained. Spiritually, Emotionally, Physically,....and we wonder why nothing and nobody is making us feel better. We want big changes to counteract the lack of "magic" we feel in ourselves.

When we were little and feeling down, someone we loved would generally pick us up, dust us off, and do something special to make us feel better. With my mom, it was a good dose of girl talk. With my dad, it was a hug and a laugh. Someone else created the magic in us that life was ok again. Now that we are adults, who does this now? Sure, our parents are generally always there for us, and mostly our spouses. But sometimes our spouses are caught in the drainage with us, because we are battling the same thing together. We stop and take a look around and think, How did I get here? I with my degree, and hard work, and dedication and goals? How do I not have the life of "my dreams"?

Yesterday, a friend of mine turned me onto a blog called "Stuff Christians Like". The author explains these moments through the response of God below...

http://stuffchristianslike.net/2010/12/the-soft-x/

“I know, my son, I know. I know, my daughter, I know. That thing you wanted is not going to happen. Not the way you’ve always dreamed. I know this hurts. I know this stings. I know you feel like I am distant or not aware of where you are and who hurt you and what you think life was supposed to be like. I know in moments like this you doubt that I can count the hairs on your head or have your best in mind. But please, I am not done. I have barely started to reveal your life to you. I am the God who satisfies your desires with good things. That is me! And when it comes to your hopes and your fears and your dreams, I know, my son, I know.”

We have to realize that while we strive and work and struggle to create the magic, the spark, the glow in life...sometimes it's not going to be there. God knows that. He knows that in this imperfect world, sometimes dreams get crushed and we face issues of doubt and sadness. But it is also in this moment where he reminds us to take stock of the good in the cards we currently hold. This is what brings me to Christmas...

Growing up, Christmases for my family were always magical, no matter how much money was spent. For my parents, there was always the "big reveal" and to them, it was worth more than the present itself. You could see the excitement on their faces; the way their eyes would light up and how they would reach for the other's hand in anticipation. The smiles on their faces (even after being woken up at 4:30 am, because "SANTA WAS HERE!!", when "SANTA" had just gone to bed at 4:15, after putting together that kitchen play set... Love you, Dad!) Some years the present was expensive, other years it just held special meaning, like a poem or a photograph. I can't deny that this "big reveal joy" has been instilled in me, down to my very core. I get choked up wrapping my son's Christmas gifts, so excited to see what his reactions will be. My heart warms at the fact that my son loves the movie Polar Express and can now sing the "Hot Chocolate" song with the best of them. I can't wait to make cookies with him and probably end up covered in flour! And this year, as I gain wisdom and experience in being a parent, Im learning on foundational truth:

Sometimes the "magic" comes back to us through the magic we create for others.

When my life seems to be lacking fulfillment, I'll just stop and hug my husband for a moment, leaning on his strength, or watch my son watching his favorite movie. I'll thank God that I have these 2 healthy and amazing men in my life and that we have a home, food and the money to even give gifts this year. And sure, those dreams of a better life or job or whatever seem to be residing in a far off place, but why should I let that rob my joy in these moments.

Enthusiasm is a Greek word that literally translated means "within God". Enthousiasmos literally means to be inspired by the presence of God(Theos meaning God). We refresh the joy and enthusiasm in our lives back when we find ourselves Within God. Samuel Ullman writes "Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul." Our "magic" in life, our spark and enthusiasm is truly found when we are living our lives Within God. When we don't take for granted the blessings we have and when we allow ourselves to be filled up with the non-physical things like, love, laughter and the "Hot Chocolate Song" that we do have. When you look at things in that perspective, one may find themselves abundantly rich.

How wrinkled is your soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment